5.19.2011

Picasso in Paris

This past Friday I went to the Van Gogh museum to see the Picasso Exhibit (Van Gogh Museum Description).

I was quite surprised at the works, which included both Picasso and other artists that he took inspiration from during the period he lived in Paris from 1900-1907. These works show a much different artist than the Picasso I typically think of and it was interesting to see the evolution of his work.

Fun facts -
- Picasso's blue period was thought to be triggered by the suicide of a close friend, Carlos Casagemas. This period began and ended while he was living in Paris. There were two paintings in the exhibit that Picasso did of Carlos after his death, both prominently featuring the bullet wound in Carlos' forehead and typifying the Picasso's blue period.
- Picasso also spent some time in Amsterdam. There were a few paintings in the exhibit with windmills in the background. He visited Amsterdam during his time in Paris and spend a summer with an artist friend, whose name I can't remember.
- There are no umbrellas or photography allowed in the exhibit. This was unfortunate as I had both my camera and an umbrella. The camera stayed in my purse, but what to do about the umbrella when I had to go through security to get into the exhibit. Fortunately, I went with a Swedish expat that I met from PwC and her husband and 14 month old son, so they suggested putting the umbrella on the stroller as they said that security never checks anything on or in the strollers. Surprisingly enough, they were absolutely correct, the stroller wasn't checked at all in the security.

The exhibit runs until 29 May, so it's not likely that anyone else will get to see it. However, I haven't been to the Van Gogh portion of the museum yet, so I can save that for someone's visit!

Next up - I'm flying to London on Friday for the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment